My Thoughts on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

At last, I've gotten around to writing this! I finished re-reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone a few days ago, but I've been really busy and haven't been able to sit down and write out my review. (WARNING; mega spoilers ahead!)


I like how J.K. Rowling starts with the Dursleys, a perfectly normal horrid family. I think it's a nice twist, how it goes from Vernon's POV (point of view) to the kind of person he hates POV in just a chapter. I also enjoy that, two books before The Prisoner of Azkaban, we get the knowledge that "young Sirius Black" was at the Potter's house after their demise.

I sort of wish that the snake had bitten Dudley's head off, but it didn't... oh, well...

I instantly knew that I'd like Hagrid. How could one not like a half-giant who totally freaks out the Dursleys?

My hate--it's a strong word, but I really do hate them--for the Dursleys only grew when they mockingly dropped him off at the train station. But, hazah, Molly Weasley saves the day (sort of)!

I like the Weasley's  a ton! They're such a lively group; especially Fred and George (or, is it Gred and Feorge...?). Percy sort of ruins it, but in the end--as in book-7 'the end'--he becomes good, so... Yeah.

At the beginning, I actually didn't like Hermione much. I thought she'd end up being that snotty, know-it-all, rude girl who wasn't exactly the villain, but was sort of evil... Like what Draco ended up being. But, alas, there are some things a reader simply can't read without bonding with the character; and Hermione taking the blame for Ron and Harry saving her from a 12' mountain troll is one of them.

Snape. Severus Snape (Bond. James Bond.). A very interesting character. I loathed him up until book 7, and even after reading book 7 (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows) I still think he was harsh. He isn't exactly Dolores bad, but he's bad. M-E-A-N, mean. And, boy, can he hold a grudge. But, at the end (again, book-7 'the end') he turned out to be a pretty good guy.

Hagrid's naming genius; decently tame, extremely lovable dog? Fang. Giant, evil, three-headed dog that could rip your head off without even trying? Fluffy. Don't get me wrong, I still love Hagrid; I just find his naming abilities interesting.

I wish I had a dragon. Although, Spike--from MLP;FiM--would be slightly preferred over Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback (later found to be Norbertta).

I actually knew from the start that Quirrell would be the bad-guy (totally not because I'd watched the movies before reading the books [the books are better, by the way]). Whenever I think about him, I just wanna Rage Type (example; akdjflkasjdflkajsdkflasjdfadls). But, I calm down when I remember that when Fred and George bewitch snowballs to hit the back of Quirrell's turban, they're actually hitting Voldemort in the face. 

I love how love prevails in the end. I sort of pity Voldemort. He'll never know what actual love feels like. Or, he never did, seeing as he... Oops. I can't spoil too much, now, can I ;)? 

So, to sum it up; the Dursleys are horrible, Hagrid rules, the Weasley's rock, Dumbledore's a slightly crazy genius, Snape's scary, it would be awesome to have a dragon, and Quirrell's an evil what-Hagrid-calls-Flinch.

One side note; the first book has a small amount of swearing, but mostly British swear-words that I didn't even know where swear-words until I looked them up.


Thanks for reading!

~Bekah The Bookworm






Comments

Popular Posts